Tuesday, June 2, 2009

The passing of a mentor and orthodontic legend--Dr. Gianelly


Dr. Anthony A. Gianelly, Chair ad interim of the Department of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics at Boston University Henry M. Goldman School of Dental Medicine, passed away Thursday, May 28. He was 72. "Dr. G" helped to shape hundreds of orthodontists nationwide into motivated, driven, exceptional practitioners. He was known worldwide as a leader, innovator, lecturer and teacher. I had the honor of learning from him on a daily basis during my residency.

Dr. G had a tremendous impact on me and the way I practice orthodontics. He instilled in me the value of evidence based decisions. He was never swayed by the popular fads and while he had an open mind for future developments in the field, he wanted proof that something worked before he would support it.

I feel extremely lucky to have had him as a mentor and I extend my sympathy and support to his family. I am a better orthodontist because of Dr. G.

No comments: